I had the fortunate pleasure of meeting Dave Burgess and watching him speak live at the recent EdCamp Contra Costa (edcampcoco) event on Saturday, January 21, 2017. I had been connected to Dave on Twitter for a few years and was super excited to finally get to meet him face to face. In this Distinguished Speaker Series, Dave Burgess shared his message of Transformative Passion. It was incredibly inspirational. If you've never had the pleasure of watching Dave Burgess speak, it's definitely something you don't want to miss. His passion, enthusiasm, and excitement for the professional, his teaching, his students, and connecting with other educators radiates from his magic tricks, stories, demonstrations, and messages.
The sketchnote below was definitely a wild attempt at capturing his message (and if you've seen him live, you'll know it takes an intense effort to capture his message). Here is a sampling of the key parts of his keynote message.
- What's Your Passion? Share your passion. Share who you are - to build relationship, rapport with your students.
- On days you're not passionate about the content, go with your professional passions.
- Two key ingredients = gaining students' attention AND keeping students' attention.
- Preparing the content is an investment of time. It's the seasoning, the rub, the heat, the sauce, the sizzle.
- Don't just teach a lesson, create an experience.
- It's not supposed to be easy, it's supposed to be worth it.
- Be the Purple Cow.